BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, May 19, 2008

ARMADILLO

Here is an Armadillo cake I made this weekend with red velvet cake and cream cheese icing.
Firstly I baked 3 (11'x15') cakes. Layered them with cream cheese icing. Now normally I would not use cream cheese icing when carving a cake but this icing was pretty stable.

Decorators Cream Cheese Icing

1 cup unsalted butter
1/2 vegetable shortening
2x 8oz cream cheese
3.5oz icing sugar
1 tsp clear vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
Cream butter, shortening and cream cheese till smooth. Add icing sugar, salt and vanilla extract.

Mix everything till smooth.

After carving an Armadillo shape, I crumb coated the entire cake with the buttercream and put it in thew fridge to harden.

Then once the icing had hardened up in the fridge, I covered it with fondant and finished off with strips of fondant on his back.

I used the back of a fork to create a scale like effect.

Next I took little balls of fondant and after flattening them attached them to the body with a little water.



After making the feet and creating the eye, I painted him with a mixture of browns, greens and black powdered color and lemon extract.



The ears were made with gumpaste and attached on hardened and painted once secure.











0 comments: